Tuesday, July 05, 2005

I'm not listening!!!!

Well, the site for Beyond You & Me just passed the 20,000th visitor. You probably know that already, since I can't believe anyone comes over here who hasn't clicked through one of the links on that site, but hey, you never know.

Now I sent out an email press release when it reached the first 10,000 hits. That took about 3 months to happen. The next 10,000 took slightly over a month. One agent asked to know more, then realized she'd already turned it down. Glad to know that evidence of strong Internet marketing and potentially a loyal fan base meant nothing.

Now a second agent has come out of hiding at the 20,000 threshold.

What's it going to take, 50,000? 100,000?

The ironic thing is agents and editors are saying all the time "Oh, the Internet is the marketing tool of the future."

Apparently they haven't caught up with that future.

Could it be this book is no good, and that's why they're turning it down?

Then why the strong interest and loyal support from other bloggers?

You tell me, what do I know?

6 Comments:

Blogger Theresa said...

This blog site is fantastic. I'm enthusiastically cheering for you, and at the same time, wondering what it would be like to follow a similar dream.

11:38 PM, July 05, 2005  
Blogger W. S. Cross said...

It's a little strange, but the encouragement of folks like you help keep me going. There is a whole world of good writing out there that's being overlooked by a literary establishment that's more concerned with not offending than with remaking our intellectual lives.

Keep coming back, this site will continue to offer an alternative perspective. I'm not saying a better one, just an alternative.

12:06 PM, July 06, 2005  
Blogger Mermaid Girl said...

This is totally inspirational!

I am so impressed, good luck with it all and I'll be back for more :)

8:31 AM, July 11, 2005  
Blogger W. S. Cross said...

Thanks, you're in rare company. I think between 1-3 people per day stop by here.

Just as well, since I name names of agents.

9:24 AM, July 11, 2005  
Blogger W. S. Cross said...

There are several anthology blogs out there, I guess I hadn't thought about re-inventing that wheel. Doesn't mean it's not a good idea, though!

9:02 AM, July 12, 2005  
Blogger Peter L. Winkler said...

I enjoy reading your blog. Thanks for making the effort to write it.

"The ironic thing is agents and editors are saying all the time "Oh, the Internet is the marketing tool of the future."

I don't think they really mean it. It's either 1)Form letter boilerplate bs, or 2)Something they say in interviews and at symposia to appear trendy.

11:34 PM, August 28, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home